Why Dear Izzy
Every single aspect of Dear Izzy is designed to bring joy and excitement to your early reader.
- Each letter contains what we like to call, a "Dear Izzy Moment" - a moment where the child stops reading, eyes light up, and they begin asking questions, laughing or thinking out loud.
These emotional reactions help build a strong, internalized association between reading and joy.
- It's all about the content. Each letter was crafted, tested, revised and tested again to be sure it meets our standards (measured by kid reactions!).
Delivery by Snail Mail:
- Sending a letter to your child via snail mail not only builds anticipation and wonder, but also helps cultivate patience.
- Children feel special and loved when a letter arrives especially for them.
Pen Pal Characters:
- Dear Izzy characters are based on careers that captivate the interests of the early reader age group.
- The reciprocal nature of a pen pal correspondence helps build self confidence and responsibility.
- With a pen pal, children build empathy, connection and can better relate to the content.
- Dear Izzy is designed to help children make connections between the content and their own lives. By addressing the child by name, and integrating other personal touches, we create connections that make reading more joyful.
- The process of writing back not only helps early readers practice reading comprehension and writing skills, it reinforces mindsets of reciprocity, responsibility and relationship-building.
- Our templates for writing back are differentiated to make the process enjoyable for all children. Sometimes they fill in the blank, circle an emoji, or draw a picture.
The Dear Izzy Experience:
- By creating a low-stakes reading experience (this isn't homework!), the pressure to perform is lifted, giving the early reader an opportunity to take risks in a positive environment.
- It's fun to get a letter! The content is light, comical and full of fun facts and stories which make reading a joy!